Monday, March 06, 2006

You learn something everyday

















A pillow mound.

I think it is possible to make out this earthwork in the Park at Broughton from these pictures that I took at the weekend. Anyway it is a mound, about 30 feet by 8 feet, (the dog gives it scale).

Pillow mounds are part of the normal agricultural landscape from the middle ages and later. This one may be 16th century.

A pillow mound is for rabbit farming. You build up a false mound for your rabbits to make a warren in, and surround it with a trench. What sort of fence you used to keep the rabbits in I don't know.

This is just one of a number of unusual bumps and ditches in the park, but next time you walk your dog here (which, by the way, you are welcome to do) you'll know what this one is. Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Annie L said...

I was just at Broughton today and had a lovely tour by Lady Saye-Sele. One of my favorite castles thus far in my travelling. Your brother was busy cooking in the kitchen. I would take advantage of the roof to read on a nice day.

Anonymous said...

What a amazing place! My grandfather's name (on my mothers side) was Broughton - he was a senator in California and is father had imigrated to America from Britian. So I guess I could be some sort of far relative or something. I live in Sweden now and so hope to come a pay you all a visit some day.

Anonymous said...

A staggeringly beautiful place. Take good care of it Martin! All the best.

Anonymous said...

C'mon Martin, more postings please.
Nigel
From a cold Llandudno!
Even colder up the Great Orme!
Think I need a tea cake!

Anonymous said...

Martin

Found you on the web. As they say in New York 'who knew'?

My father really enjoyed meeting you the other day, and it's nice to have such an illustrious friend.

Hope you and family are well.

John in Islington